Saturday, July 28, 2018

Arc Review of Mirage by Somalia Daud

Mirage by Somaiya Daud
August 28, 2018
by Flatiron Books

Preorder book here:

Amazon Book Depository  Barnes and Noble Audible

Summary

In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire, eighteen-year-old Amani is a dreamer. She dreams of what life was like before the occupation; she dreams of writing poetry like the old-world poems she adores; she dreams of receiving a sign from Dihya that one day, she, too, will have adventure, and travel beyond her isolated moon.

But when adventure comes for Amani, it is not what she expects: she is kidnapped by the regime and taken in secret to the royal palace, where she discovers that she is nearly identical to the cruel half-Vathek Princess Maram. The princess is so hated by her conquered people that she requires a body double, someone to appear in public as Maram, ready to die in her place.

As Amani is forced into her new role, she can’t help but enjoy the palace’s beauty—and her time with the princess’ fiancé, Idris. But the glitter of the royal court belies a world of violence and fear. If Amani ever wishes to see her family again, she must play the princess to perfection...because one wrong move could lead to her death.











Review:


*I want to thank both Somaiya Daud and Flatiron books for sending me this book for an honest review.*


Mirage is Somaiya Daud first book and I am so pleased with it. I did not expect loving it as much as I did. It was a mix of Fantasy and Sci-fi which are both my favorite genres. In this world we follow Amina who is ultimately the nicest and most caring person. She comes from poverty, where she has to work and fend for herself and her family. She is then thrown into this world of royalty, where she has to adjust into something she is not. She is kidnapped and taken to a palace where she meets a princess who looks just like her and is of the same age. The princess is cruel and hated by everyone in the realm, and now is looking for someone who can replace her. Amani is then told she needs to learn even single mannerism about the princess. She needs to basically become her. Amina plays the part so perfectly of being the princess and fools everyone in the process. 

I really enjoyed this book, especially for a day view it was so beautifully written. I loved how this story tackled a lot of oppression and evil rulers trying to conquer more than they should. Somaiya did such a great job of translating the traditions of this new world to us without be so overwhelming. I was able to adapt so fast to this world. Her writing was so beautiful and easily able to fall into. 

I really like the characters, I just wished there was more depth into them. For some reason I couldn't find much of a connection with them. There was some growth with the characters, but I felt like maybe we needed more of the in between where we see the growth falling through. The princess had such a big development and I wish we were able to see more of that, not just a few pages. Which is why I took a star off from the book.

I see what the author is putting forward an I can't wait to see how this world is going to build. It has so much potential and so much more we can see and learn from the characters. I'm so glad I picked up this book, and I do recommend if you're into sci-fi with a mix of fantasy. 


4★















Post a Comment

Teen Titans Raven by Kami Garcia e-galley Review

Expected publication: July 2nd 2019 by DC Ink Edition Language Series DC Ink amazon   ...

On Instagram

FTC DISCLAIMER

Any books that are reviewed on this site are either gifted to me, won in a giveaway, or purchased. All reviews are honest, and are not swayed by anything. I will note if the books have been gifted or won. Pictures have been taken off of Goodreads or somewhere else if said otherwise. Said pictures are not mine, and I do not hold ownership over them unless stated otherwise.

© throneofshatteredbooks. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.