Monday, July 9, 2018

One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake

Purchase your own copy
Kindle Amazon Book Depository



Synopsis:


Following up on the events of Three Dark Crowns, Blake brings the queen triplets to their fates as they fight for their lives. While the teen queens deal with suitors and advisors, they must also grapple with the reality of their tasks in killing one another for the ultimate throne. When Katharine seems to gather strength, Mirabella and Arisonoe must determine whether they can work together or if they even should. The author takes the cursed sisters to new exciting heights with a driving plot. A continued detailed development of characters carves out unexpected alliances with Blake's careful manipulation. Readers will appreciate the epic payoff of the first novel in this second installment. The present-tense style throughout underlines the drama of the plot. The large cast of characters may seem overwhelming at times, but each is characterized skillfully. Though Blake describes some violence, the gore is minimal, making this appropriate for a broad range of ages. VERDICT Dark indeed, and exploring themes of loyalty, this is a thrilling sequel with everything from action to romance to entice readers. A strong purchase for YA fantasy shelves.—Abby Hargreaves, D.C. Public Library

I cannot begin to explain how much I am loving this series. Kendare Blake’s writing amazes me, it flows so well and it captures you the minute you start reading. I love the fact that I’m never skipping over sentences or seem bored while reading over details. I’m always engaged and enjoying what I’m reading. The writing kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The anticipation of what will happen next had me flipping the page continuously without stopping. 

With the queens I’ll start by saying that Arsinoe, for some reason has always been my favorite. I’m guessing it’s because she’s the least favorable. The one everyone likes least and wishes dead. I grew to loving her character the fact that even if she’s out down throughout the whole story, she’s grown so much. I love how much she cares for her family, and friends. I love that she has never given up even though she was the weakest of the three and the most likely to end up dead.

“No matter how far I go, I'm still your person. We stand together now.” 

― Kendare Blake, One Dark Throne

Mirabella is my second favorite, she also has always cared for her other sister s and never wanted to really harm them. She also cares about the people around her and tries to protect them. She uses her gifts for good and it to take advantage of anyone. 

Katherine on the other hand, has never been my favorite. But she became sort of my favorite bitch queen. Arsinoe is still my favorite even so, but Katherine won m my heart over with her vengeance and will to murder. Even in In Three Dark Crowns I always felt like there was something lacking from her. I felt like I wanted to skip over her narrative all the time. In One Dark Thrown she’s grown into a darker person, seeking only revenge. The reason which is revealed in this book, after her fall in the pit. Even so, I feel like it adds such a good twist to the story. It makes me anticipate the next one even more. 

“But everyone knows that the Breccia Domain is more than an empty hole in the earth. Who knows what happened to the queens who were thrown down into the dark? Into the heart of the island, where the Goddess’s eye is always open. Who knows how she kept those queens or what she turned them into” 
― Kendare Blake, One Dark Throne

Jules is such a mysterious character full of twist and turns and plot twist. We’ve yet to learn so much more from her family, to uncover all of their hidden secrets. Which I hope will be answered in the next book. She has become as important as the three queens, and the book wouldn’t be where it’s at if she was not in it. 

For the most part, I loved this book as a whole. Everything about to the short fight scenes, to the love scenes and all the bitching from Katherine. I can’t wait to read more on these characters. I can’t wait to read more of Kendare Blake’s writing. 

5 out of 5 stars all around. 

Post a Comment

Teen Titans Raven by Kami Garcia e-galley Review

Expected publication: July 2nd 2019 by DC Ink Edition Language Series DC Ink amazon   ...

On Instagram

FTC DISCLAIMER

Any books that are reviewed on this site are either gifted to me, won in a giveaway, or purchased. All reviews are honest, and are not swayed by anything. I will note if the books have been gifted or won. Pictures have been taken off of Goodreads or somewhere else if said otherwise. Said pictures are not mine, and I do not hold ownership over them unless stated otherwise.

© throneofshatteredbooks. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.