Wednesday, April 24, 2019

How to Make Friends with the Dark by Kathleen Glascow E-galley Review

Hardcover416 pages
Published April 9th 2019 
by Delacorte Press
Order copy here


How to Make Friends with the Dark
Summary:

Here is what happens when your mother dies.

It’s the brightest day of summer and it’s dark outside. It’s dark in your house, dark in your room, and dark in your heart. You feel like the darkness is going to split you apart.

That’s how it feels for Tiger. It’s always been Tiger and her mother against the world. Then, on a day like any other, Tiger’s mother dies. And now it’s Tiger, alone.

Here is how you learn to make friends with the dark.












Review

I first want to thank both Delacorte press and Netgalley for gifting me a copy of the book for an honest review.

*Disclaimer: Self-harm, contemplation of suicide, and drug and alcohol violence.*

In this book we follow Grace Tolliver "Tiger" through a heart felt journey where she loses her mother and bestfriend June. June is everything she has always had in her life. No brother, father, grand-parents of cousins that she knows of. So when she loses her mother she feels like she lost her whole life with her. Her mother was also always really strict with her and in her final moments, they had a big argument. Which tore Tiger apart. We follow Tiger as she meets new people who become a great influence in her life. We also get  a preview of what it will be like to be a foster child.

I really enjoyed this book from the beginning, it was a little slow paced and a bit heavy even if it wasn't as dark as I expected it to be. It was 416 pages which I feel could have been condensed a bit maybe to 300 pages or so. I wanted this book to make me cry and make me want to carve my heart out and it didn't do that. I felt bored and annoyed at times. I wish the author would have included more heart-felt scenes in the book. I wish Tiger would have gone through more of a relapse and then gotten back up on her feet. But that's just my opinion on the matter of what she was going through. I definitely do recommend the book, especially for readers who are just beginning to pick up books based on grief and self-harm. 


3 










Post a Comment

Teen Titans Raven by Kami Garcia e-galley Review

Expected publication: July 2nd 2019 by DC Ink Edition Language Series DC Ink amazon   ...

On Instagram

FTC DISCLAIMER

Any books that are reviewed on this site are either gifted to me, won in a giveaway, or purchased. All reviews are honest, and are not swayed by anything. I will note if the books have been gifted or won. Pictures have been taken off of Goodreads or somewhere else if said otherwise. Said pictures are not mine, and I do not hold ownership over them unless stated otherwise.

© throneofshatteredbooks. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.